From the Heavy Metal Magazine web page:
Dan Berger here, Heavy Metal's new managing editor and the guy that will hopefully be working with you in the future. HM is always searching for cool science fiction and fantasy comics and we'd love to see what you've cooked up from your own fervent imagination and hard work at the drawing board (and/or computer). That said, there are a few things I'd like you to do to make all our lives easier. Please read through all of this (I know it's long - but it's worth your time, trust me):
1) We're only looking for completed stories. We do not pair writers with artists, so please do not submit comic scripts because they won't be read. We just don't have the resources to deal with scripts, even the best-written, most-awesome scripts in the universe. Kevin Eastman, HM's venerable publisher and editor-in-chief, WILL read finished stories, though - he absolutely loves doing that.
2) The preferred method to send in a submission is via e-mail. With postage rates going apeshit, it's the most cost-effective way for you to get your material to us (especially if you live outside the USA), and it's the easiest way for us to check out your work and keep it on file (we've got 35 years of paperwork filling our office, so we're running out of space). E-mail is also cool because I'll know how to contact you should Kevin decide he'd like to publish your work. Please e-mail low resolution files (72 DPI) in JPG or PDF format to email@example.com with "SUBMISSION" as the subject line for the message.
3) If you don't have easy access to e-mail and have to submit via snail mail, PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL ARTWORK. All caps is obnoxious, but WE DO NOT RETURN SUBMISSIONS, so YOU WON'T GET YOUR ART BACK. So please mail us copies or print-outs of your work, either in B&W or color (color is obviously preferred if your story is in color). PLEASE DO NOT SEND RETURN POSTAGE WITH YOUR SUBMISSION - we'll just spend it on beer and pizza since we're evil bastards and WE DO NOT RETURN SUBMISSIONS.
4) Snail mail submissions should be sent to:
HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE
116 Pleasant Street,
Easthampton, MA 01027
5) Please include contact information on every page of your story if you submit via snail mail. Always include your full name, mailing address and phone number on every page of your submission in case I lose something. I can be a dumbass sometimes, so it's best if you prepare for the worst and write your contact info on everything you send.
6) Stories can be as short as one page or as long as 96 pages. That said, the majority of our featured stories are reserved years in advance for our established European artists. Therefore, we are mainly looking for short stories-between two to eight pages. We will be glad to look at any Heavy Metal-esque ideas you have, but short stories have the best chance to get in and be placed quicker.
7) Response Time: If you submit via e-mail, I'll try to let you know that we received your work within a week of it arriving in our mail box. We do not respond to snail mail submissions at all unless Kevin would like to publish the story (then we'll contact you to let you know that Kevin is interested in your work). Even if you submit via e-mail, it can take 60 days or longer for us to get back to you regarding publishing the piece. Crazy, huh? We apologize in advance, and thank you for your interest in the mag, but we only publish six issues a year and we often work on looooong lead times, so it can take quite awhile for us to go through the submissions.
8) Heavy Metal Style: Please look over the work we publish carefully so you get a feel for the kinds of stories we're looking for. Please no bestiality or bondage - that sort of thing will get us arrested, and we're trying to avoid that sort of thing.
9) We'd love it if you formatted the art to fit the dimensions of the magazine: Bleed size is 8.25" X 11.125". Trim size is 8" X 10.875"
That covers the vital points. If you have any questions, just holler.
Listening to: White Noise
Reading: Halo - Ghost of Onyx
Watching: Stupid people doing stupid things
Drinking: Green Tea